St Mary and St Gabriel
Sharing the love of God
The Reverend Mark Morton
with great sadness that we announce the sudden death of our Rector, Mark Morton, on the 7th May. Our thoughts and prayers are with Sharron, Esther and family in
their great loss.
Mark's funeral will take place on Thursday 23rd May at 3pm at Harting. Refreshments will be served in the Men's Club afterwards - all welcome.
services will be updated regularly.
Please refer any
church matters to the Churchwardens, Hatti and Sarah – click here for
the contact page.
Welcome to our website. Please browse the pages to learn about us. Should you require further Information, do not hesitate to contact us by letter, telephone, or email.
The Parish Church of St Mary & St Gabriel, in the West Sussex village of South Harting, is part of the United Benefice of Harting and Elsted with Treyford cum Didling (in the Diocese of Chichester).
For nearly 800 years, our Church has witnessed to the love of God. Over that period, people have gathered Sunday by Sunday for worship and to share in the Eucharist (Holy Communion). They have come here to be baptised, married, and finally to be buried.
The Church building is widely recognised as one of the finest in England, and we are pleased to welcome many visitors, especially during the Summer months. South Harting is on a popular cycling route, and is very close to the glorious South Downs Way. Our Summer cream teas (Sundays 2.30pm to 4.30pm) attract villagers and travellers alike.
Of course, although our building is very important to us, the essence of our Church consists of the people who belong to it. We seek to follow Christ, and to share God's love with our local community. Aside from our Sunday services, we hold regular courses (especially during Lent and Advent) where people can learn more about the Christian Faith, and dare to ask questions. We like to think of ourselves as very open minded. Authentic Christian Faith is not about blind belief, but about growing in faith and love and service.
We enjoy an excellent relationship with the local Congregational Church. The Rector and the Congregational Ministers work closely together, and meet together most weeks to share news and to pray.
If you are able to visit us, or to join in any of our activities, you will be most welcome.
Last updated - 20/05/19
Email webmaster: firstname.lastname@example.org
Policy on the Safeguarding of Children and Adults in the Church
statement was adopted by Harting, Elsted and Didling (Benefice) at Parochial
Church Council meetings held in April 2018
policy will be reviewed each year to monitor the progress which has been
We recognise that everyone has different levels of vulnerability and that each of us may be regarded as vulnerable at some time in our lives.
1. As members of this benefice we commit ourselves to respectful pastoral care for all children and adults to whom we minister.
2. We commit ourselves to the safeguarding of people who may be vulnerable, ensuring their well-being in the life of this church.
3. We commit ourselves to promoting safe practice by those in positions of trust.
4. The parish commits itself to promoting the inclusion and empowerment of people who may be vulnerable.
5. It is the responsibility of each of us to prevent the physical, emotional, sexual, financial and spiritual abuse of vulnerable people and to report any such abuse that we discover or suspect.
6. We undertake to exercise proper care in the appointment and selection of those who will work with people who may be vulnerable.
7. The parish is committed to supporting, resourcing, training and regularly reviewing those who undertake work among people who may be vulnerable.
8. The parish adopts the guidelines of the Church of England and the Diocese.
9. Each person who works with vulnerable people will agree to abide by these recommendations and the guidelines established by this church.
This church appoints Jane Thwaites to represent the concerns and views of vulnerable people at our meetings and to outside bodies, as the parish safeguarding officer and CCPAS Lead Recruiter.
Contact telephone number: 01730 825652 Email: Jane.Thwaites@btinternet.com